This was the second course to my 5-course Friendsgiving party for 6 people.
I’m really happy the way this dish turned out. It’s EXACTLY how I pictured it!
For the Citrus Marinade
- 6 semi-boneless butterflied quail
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 3 TBS EVOO
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-inch ginger roots, peeled and finely minced
- Pinch of salt
In a large bowl, mix together all marinading ingredients and add quail. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
For the Parsnip Purée
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup butter
- EVOO, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Place parsnips along with thyme and bay leaf in a tray and season with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes.
Remove parnips from tray and place in a bowl along with cream and butter. Smash with a fork and mix thoroughly. Adjust seasoning.
Keep warm before serving.
For the Quail
- Marinaded quail
- Leftover marinade, for basting
- Canola oil
- Salt and freshly grounded pepper
Remove quail from bowl and reserve mixture for basting.
In a hot pan, add canola oil and sear quail breast-side down on high heat. Turn heat to medium and be sure to press down. Flip quail after 5 minutes while basting continuously. Cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes and remove from pan. Rest quail before slicing.
For the Salad
- 4 satsuma mandarins, peeled
- 6 cups arugula
- 6 cups pea leaves
- Citrus Vinaigrette or other simple dressings (such as EVOO + lemon juice)
Peel satsumas, simply dress the greens before plating.
Slice quail into 2 sections: wing & breast and leg. Spoon parsnip purée onto plate, place salad greens nicely and arrange quail along the plate.