This was the first course to my 5-course Friendsgiving party for 6 people. Originally, I had another course before this but I cut it once I realized that the duck confit would take too much of my time and I didn’t want to overwhelm myself.
[100% organic, wild scallops]
For the Fennel Foam
- 2 large fennel bulbs, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- Bouquet garni: white peppercorns, 1 garlic clove, fennel fronds
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a pan, sweat the onion, fennel, and bouquet garni with vegetable oil. Once the vegetables have soften, deglaze with white wine. Reduce until au sec, then add the cream and simmer for 15 minutes.
Pour mixture into a blender and blend well. Do not strain. Pour purée into a whip cream dispenser and charge twice. Keep warm.
For the Salad
- 2 packets brown shimeji mushrooms
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 bunch cilantro, picked
- 1 cup neutral oil
Cut base off of mushrooms (save for stock making) and cut off ends of green beans. Blanch in salted water then shock in iced water.
In a blender, blend on high the cilantro leaves and oil. Blend until the oil is warm, then strain through a fine mesh strainer or through cheesecloth/coffee filters. Reserve oil into a squeeze bottle.
For the Finish
- 18 diver scallops, soaked in salted cold water, drained, then sliced
- Shimichi Togarashi
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cilantro oil (from above)
- Micro cilantro
- Fennel fronds (if saved, and I forgot to use it)
- Sea salt/Maldon salt
In a bowl, lightly toss blanched mushrooms and green beans with cilantro oil, lemon juice, and salt. Slice scallops into thin rounds.
On the plate:
- Season mushrooms and green beans with lemon, cilantro oil, and salt. Arrange salad.
- Place scallops on plate, season scallops with crushed sea salt, lemon, and togarashi.
- Squeeze an odd number of fennel foam dots.
- Garnish with micro cilantro, pomegranate seeds, fennel fronds, and more cilantro oil.