This was the fourth course to my 5-course Friendsgiving party for 6 people.
This year I decided to serve the last savory course family-style! And it turned out so great!!!! I would have been happy if this was the only course served because it’s that amazing!!!
For the Duck
- 3 ducks (legs used in previous course)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
Remove the backbone and have the ducks lying open with breasts up on a wire rack over a sheet tray. Place in fridge and dry-age for 2 weeks.
After two weeks, butcher duck breasts off and score them. Season duck breasts with salt & pepper, turn heat to the lowest setting and place a large pan on the stove. Place breast in the pan with skin-side down. Render the fat to all the breasts slowly. Every few minutes, pour away rendered fat. After 10 minutes, turn breast around and cook flesh side for 3 seconds and remove from pan and place on a wire rack, skin-side up, to rest.
Using a smoke gun, place duck breasts in a single layer in a glass dish and wrap in plastic. Smoke duck for 10 minutes.
In a pre-heated oven of 500°F, flash heat duck breasts for 1 minute, allow to rest, then slice and serve.
For the Accoutrements
- Steamed buns (I used 2 packs of 15 for six people)
- 12 Persian cucumbers, cored and julienned
- Scallions, julienned
- Micro cilantro
- Tian Mian 甜面酱/sweet bean sauce (needs to get sautéed with oil, then cooked with some water for consistency, and salt/sugar for taste)