For some strange reason, I thought that the food that we would use in culinary school would be organic. That is definitely not the case. I’ve witnessed the biggest gingers and the biggest bell peppers in the world in class and that’s just scary.
- 2 lamb shanks
- 3 TBS olive oil
- ⅔ cup onions, cut into large chunks
- ⅔ cup carrots, cut into large chunks
- ½ cup celery, cut into large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- ⅔ cup red wine
- ⅔ cup white wine
- Brown stock, enough to cover
- 3 very ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
Give a good sear to the lamb shanks. Add in the braising liquid and mirepoix and braise the lamb for 2.5 hours in the oven (350-400°F), once boiling. Couscous is made with chopped parsley, pine nuts, olive oil, and dried blackcurrants.
*From the French Culinary Institute.