I hope I can squeeze another trip to Enoteca Vespaio before I leave Austin. I went there on Saturday night with Kimi. It usually takes me 10 minutes max to get there but last Saturday was the 9th Annual Lonestar Rod & Kustom Round Up. We saw every old fashioned car there was, multiple versions of Cruella De Vil’s car, and things that I don’t know the name of. Each thing looked like a motor + 4 wheels + steering wheel + a two-seat bench and that was it. Parking was incredibly difficult to find and by the time we found street parking, 50 minutes had already passed.
I was hoping that the wait could be short, however, when we walked in, there was a table for two available! Yay. We both got LINGUINE MISTO MARE: imported linguine tossed w/shrimp, calamari & P.E.I. mussels in a spicy arrabbiata sauce (specialite). I rarely eat the garlic bread that comes with it because 1) I don’t want to have stinky breath afterward and 2) the garlic bread is always somewhat stale or really burnt. But that night I finished eating the whole thing because 1) I was starving and 2) I let the garlic bread soak in the sauce after I finished eating every string of linguine.
I guess they were out of mussels because we both got clams. It wasn’t as spicy as I had remembered it but it’s still my all-time favorite on the menu. Sometimes they put crab meat in it too when they are out of other seafood ingredients. Since my first visit in 2005, everything has increased by $1-3 and portions have gotten smaller… I’m just saying…
My other favorites on the menu:
- SUPPLI – crispy risotto balls filled w/ fontina served w/ arrabbiata (antipasti)
- PATATE FRITTE: choice of French fries w/ grana padano & parsley or garlic French fries ~ both served w/ lemon aioli (antipasti)
- PROSCIUTTO: prosciutto, fontina, arugula & truffled egg (pressed panini)
- AVOCADO: avocado, Wateroak Farm chevre, lettuce, tomato, onion & balsamic vinegar on walnut bread (panini)
- SAUSAGE & PEPPERS: housemade fennel-pork sausage w/ roasted sweet peppers, arrabbiata, grana padano & melted fresh mozzarella (forno panini)
- PORCHETTA: roasted Kurobuta pork, melted provolone, lettuce, tomato, red onion & Dijon mustard (forno panini)
- QUATTRO FORMAGGI: gorgonzola, fresh mozzarella, fontina & grana padano (pizze)
- PANCETTA AFFUMICATA: applewood smoked bacon, caramelized onions, cambozola & spinach (pizze)
- PROSCIUTTO: Parma prosciutto, fontina, arugula & truffled sunnyside up egg (pizze)
- SPAGHETTINI CON POLPETTE: veal meatballs filled w/ fontina w/ spaghettini & spinach in marsala-tomato sauce w/ pecorino romano (pasta)
- RIGATONI CON POLPETTE: rigatoni w/pork meat balls, arrabbiata, pecorino romano & melted fresh mozzarella (pasta)
- SPAGHETTI CARBONARA: handmade spaghetti w/ pancetta, green onions, grana padano & cream (pasta)
I’m not a fan of salads because I think salads are totally pointless to pay and eat outside of your home.
I’ve been to EV at least 30 times!!!