After the shrimp bisque, I’ve been dying to use my blender for another bisque. Crab meat is expensive and so is lobster so I settled for shrimp again. But I bought a pound of prawns to use instead and some cherrystone clams.
[100% organic & wild]
- 4 large cloves garlic, roasted
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS butter, separated into 1 + 2 TBS
- 1½ lbs butternut squash, peeled and cube
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided use
- 2 TBS fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- Cherrystone clams
- White wine
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano for garnish
Prepare roasted garlic by heating the oven up at 400ºF and baking the garlic head for 30 minutes.
In a large soup pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and 2 TBS butter. Once the butter is melted, add squash, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of broth, reserving the rest. Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until squash is very tender (around 30 minutes). Add the milk and purée the mixture until very smooth then return to pot. Thin with remaining broth if desired.
Boil the shrimp and clams in a pot of white wine and 1 TBS butter. Season with salt, pepper, chives, and grated Parmesan Reggiano and serve.
*Adapted from Gimme Some Oven.